I cannot believe it has been one month since Sydney was born. Time is flying by. I told Scarlett that today was Sydney's one month birthday, and then I asked if she could believe it. Her response was priceless: "I can NOT believe it, Mom!" I love my girls.
Sydney is a very different baby than Scarlett was. Scarlett was born 9 days past her due date, Sydney was born 2 days before. I feel like Scarlett's extra 11 days in the womb made her mature beyond her time. Scarlett nursed amazingly well from the get-go. She was alert all the time, and never slept through anything. If there was noise, she was looking around to find it. Scarlett just never felt like a newborn. She was in size 1 diapers, and out of newborn clothes by the time she was 1 week old because she was so tall. Though petite, she still put on weight regularly. Sydney, on the other hand, is a terrible eater. Truly, terrible. We tried everything to get her to nurse properly, but she wouldn't latch for longer than 4 or 5 sucks before she would take herself off, choke down some air, scream bloody murder because she was hungry, and then fight me for 10 minutes while I tried to get her to latch again. She takes to a bottle much better, but still, not great. She gets really frustrated sometimes and shakes her head back and forth so unbelievably fast, we call it her "shark attack". I started out pumping and bottle feeding, and still trying to get her to nurse every now and then. But my milk supply has slowly been diminishing because I just don't have time to sit and pump every 2-3 hours with a newborn and super active 2 year old. We are down to only 2 pumped bottles a day, and the rest is formula. I'm sure missing nursing my baby. I love nursing.
Sydney has become much more alert the last few days, but still sleeps so much. Scarlett never slept. It is so bizarre to me that one person can sleep so many hours. However, Sydney really only sleeps well if someone is holding her. Sometimes her swing works, and she'll sleep just fine in her carseat. We have the Little Einstein's Aquarium in her crib, and she will sleep as long as that thing is playing, but once it turns off, she wakes up. As soon as someone picks her up, she's out again. She does sleep well sometimes. At night, most nights, she will go down between 11 and midnight, and sleep 4-5 hours. I have never had to feed this one every 2 hours. I love that about her. She has always gone at least 3 hours between feedings. Hopefully, she will be a better sleeper than her sister was.
Sydney is still wearing newborn diapers, and only fits in to newborn clothes. She is just so tiny. Everyone who sees her comments on how small she is. She just doesn't seem to be in a hurry to grow much. I weighed her about a week ago and she was only 8 lbs 4 oz (Scarlett was 8 lbs 2 oz at birth). Tiny, tiny little thing.
When Scarlett speaks, Sydney looks around to find her. When Sydney is upset, Scarlett can calm her right down. I love the little bond they already have. I am so happy I had two little girls in a row. It has been so fun watching Scarlett grow. She really takes this big sister job seriously.
Happiest one month birthday, sweet Sydney Lucile.
We love you, dearly.








2 comments:
Its nice to see that your kids like each other :) By the way, my sister had a baby like that who wouldn't nurse at first - but she managed to work with the baby and got him back to full time nursing by 4 months. She said it was really hard - but I've heard it's a possibility if you want to go that way :)
JT was tiny for the first three months (also was not a great nurser), and in newborn clothes (which I had to go out and buy after he was born). All of a sudden he hit a couple of growth spurts and has never looked back. I'll gladly hold Syd and rock her to sleep - I love that. But it will be interesting to see how my little 2-year old reacts to his little cousin taking his mommy's lap! :-)
Post a Comment