Sunday, March 18, 2012

Twenty-Seven

My 27th birthday was absolutely fabulous.  Both girls slept in, I was in charge of cleaning our church building with a group of women at 9am, and we were done by 10, so I had the rest of the day to spend with my family.
I had been thinking about how much I used to like bowling, and how it had been years since I had been... I figured Scarlett was old enough to have a little fun with it- so that is what we did!  Mom and Dad joined us.  Rob bowled the best game I have ever seen him bowl- he and Dad tied for first, I took third, and Mom barely beat Scarlett.  :)
 Can you tell they're related?

 Not too shabby, Scarbaby!
 The token birthday girl photo.
 Sydney was wonderful, as usual, and slept through most of our game.  She really is a gem.
The night before my birthday, Rob received a call telling him my gift would be ready after 2pm the next day.  I was hoping it would be a car- we had looked at, and decided on, the car we were going to purchase about 3 weeks prior, but Rob told me we were going to wait and buy it in April or May.  Which I believed.  But deep down I was still hoping he was going to surprise me for my birthday.  Rob is a good husband, a great husband, but he has never been very good with surprises.  I don't think he has ever surprised me, in fact.  That may be unfair- but I do usually get out of him what I want to know.  I went to bed that night a little suspicious, but thinking "there's no way he would pull off this big of a surprise".  Oh me of little faith.
My birthday morning rolls around, both girls are in our bed with Rob, I am getting ready to go clean the church, and then I hear Rob whisper, with a HUGE grin, something to Scarlett.  She turns to me and says, "Mom! We bought you a new car!"  To which I replied, "oh, you got me a card?  That is so sweet."  "No, Mom!  A new car!"  "Yes, a card for my birthday, I love cards!"  Rob was dying at this point, and he told Scarlett to tell me one more time... and she was so thrilled when I finally understood what she was telling me.  My new Toyota Highlander would be ready for pick up that afternoon.  I was thrilled!  After cleaning, lunch, bowling, and shopping, I finally drove my new ride off the lot.  When I got in, Scarlett was with me, I was so excited and said "Scar!  I don't know how to work any of this stuff!"  And she smiled, so sweetly, and said, "that's OK, mom.  You can do it, honey!"  I just love her.  We drove to Filippi's for a delicious Italian dinner, then on to Baskin Robbins because Scarlett had to have ice cream, which she didn't eat, and then home... in this beauty.
Thanks for the best birthday present, ever, Rob.  You really are the best husband. 
I will miss Lola- my trusty Honda Accord of 7 years, but I know she is in very capable hands with you, Rob.
Now, we just need to name the Highlander...

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh Lola, yes I remember Lola. But hello new car! Rob definitely picks up some husband points for that one.
Glad u had a fantastic day! Happy birthday Nicole!