Sunday, July 17, 2011

Utah in June

Back in June, Scarlett and I flew to Utah on a Sunday to hang out with my brother and sister, and my mom also happened to be visiting that week.  Rob joined us on Wednesday night and we stayed with his parents through Monday, and after spending Monday with Ashley and Kyle, we flew home.  It was a fun trip, but a little long.  Scarlett is such a homebody at night- we have always known this, and I was really nervous about how she would do at bed time, and sure enough, it was a nightmare.  Sunday night she was sleeping with me in Kyle's room and she didn't go to sleep until after midnight, then was awake for about an hour in the middle of the night, and then was awake for the day just before 7am.  Being 8 weeks pregnant, I was sick and puking, so I called my inlaws and asked if Scar and I could sleep at their place so Scarlett could have her own room and space.  Scarlett does not sleep well in a pack'n'play, and therefore slept in bed with me Monday night- not great for me- and then my sweet father-in-law went out and bought a crib Tuesday so Scarlett could have her own place, and I could actually get some sleep.  Thank you, Doug!  Tuesday was like a dream- she went to bed without a peep, and slept until 8am.  It was fabulous.  Things had been so bad at night that I actually changed Rob's flight from Thursday morning to Wednesday evening so he could deal with her at night.  Once she had her own bed, things were a million times better, and there are plenty of grandkids who will benefit from Scarlett being so high maintenance.
I didn't pull my camera out once the entire 9 days we were there!  Sunday-Wednesday with my family was full of shopping, Park City, eating out... it was a lot of fun.  And Scarlett loves Ashees and Ky Ky and had a blast hanging out with them.  When I picked Rob up from the airport Wednesday evening we went down to Riverton to visit my college roommate Annie and her husband Dan.  I miss those two!  Annie is due in just about a month with her first and it was so fun to see her cute belly, and their new house.  Thursday morning we went down to Provo (sad to say, but I actually really miss Provo!) and had breakfast at Maglby's with Cameron and Shea (I really can't believe I didn't take any pictures).  Then Rob dropped Scarlett and me off at the mall with Kyle and my Mom while he met with some investors, and then we headed out to West Jordan to hang out with Brooke and Chris, and their three adorable girls, Hallie, Lucy and Claire.  Scarlett had so much fun with them- it almost convinced me to move to Utah  ;)  After the busyness of the day, we went back to Rob's parents' and had dinner with all of his siblings and their kids.  It had been over a year since we had all been together, it was a lot of fun.  Friday we headed up to Park City with Rob's family to do the Alpine Slide and Coaster- thanks to Kat for the photos!
I didn't realize you had to ride the chair lift for about 20 minutes up the mountain for the slide, and we took Scarlett with us, she loved it, but I was so freaked out she was going to fall the whole time, it was the longest 20 minutes of my life.  She thought the slide was awesome! 
 All the Fuller cousins; JT, Luke, Harrison, Zach and Scarlett.
 Friday night was a big Farnsworth (Rob's mom's side) family reunion BBQ at Jon and Kat's.  It was really fun to see everyone.  Saturday was Meri's baby shower- I was glad to be in town to help with the food.  After the shower, everyone hung out at Rob's parents' and we ordered Chinese for dinner.  We put Scarlett's cute "I'm going to be a big sister" shirt on and waited for people to notice.  Troy was poking her in the tummy and making her giggle for a few minutes before he noticed. 
Scarlett was loving wrestling with Luke.




 "Hi, I'm Scarlett.  And I'm really too cute for my own good."
 "Really, really, too cute."
Sunday was more Fuller family time, and on Monday we met Ashley and Kyle at the Gateway, shopped a little, had lunch, then hung out at their place before heading to the airport.  It felt so good to get back home.  It was a great trip, but I have come to realize, vacations are NOT vacations when you travel with toddlers.  What am I going to do with two?!

4 comments:

Sarah F. said...

I recently made the same conclusion about vacations not being vacations with kids! It's a lot of work, especially if you're traveling alone part of the time. Sounds like you need to take a "babymoon." I seriously cannot believe that Scarlett is almost 2!

Kat said...

i always feel like i need a vacation when i get home from vacation! loved seeing you guys!

Em said...

I think Troy was poking her in the stomach to get me to notice, but I was too preoccupied and he finally had to say to me - Read her shirt! We're so excited, by the way. It was fun seeing you guys. :)

L3 said...

When you have children, it is no longer a vacation for moms. Try to rethink it as a "change of scenery." That lowers your expectations! It's a true fact - you are just doing all the usual things in a different place, and it's usually difficult for sleeping, eating, letting mom have a break. You'll be fine with two kids. You'll become super efficient.